Cleveland East Pierhead Lighthouse
Photo Credit: C. Hanchey
Best viewed form the plaza behind the Great Lakes Science Center and the Steamship WILLIAM G. MATHER Museum.
As early as 1818, Cleveland petitions the federal government for a lighthouse. The waterfront city was still quite small, but the prospect for growth based on the construction of a new canal gave the city plenty of hope. Located on a bluff where West 9th Street is today, the first lighthouse was built in 1829 near the Cuyahoga River. This 63-foot lighthouse was built by Levy Johnson, a shipwright and home builder who also built the original Cedar Point Lighthouse in 1836 and placed buoys in Sandusky Bay. Johnson also oversaw the building of a 700-foot-long stone pier east of the Cuyahoga River. A breakwall protects Cleveland’s harbor with lighthouses positioned at both ends. This cast iron lighthouse was built in 1910 and once housed a 5th Order Fresnel lens. At 30 feet tall, this lighthouse now operates with a 300mm plastic optic and is an active Coast Guard station.
Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland, (800) 321-1001
This lighthouse can only be viewed from a distance. Lake cruises, which include close-up views of Cleveland’s lighthouses, are offered by the NAUTICA QUEEN (www.nauticaqueen.com) and the GOODTIME III (WWW.GOODTIMEIII.COM).