Cleveland West Breakwater Lighthouse
Photo Credit: C. Hanchey
Best viewed from the plaza behind the Great Lakes Science Center and the Steamship WILLIAM G. MATHER Museum.
The west Pierhead Lighthouse is 67 feet high and built of cast iron. Constructed in 1911, it was attached to a fog signal building built a year earlier. The steam-driven fog signal could be heard for 12 miles. The original 4th Order Fresnel lens was removed in 1995 and is on display at the nearby Great Lakes Science Center. The lighthouse was automated in 1965. The small building adjacent to the lighthouse housed a lighthouse keeper and two assistants beginning in 1910. It still operates as a U.S. Coast Guard station.
Convention and visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland, (800) 321-1001
This lighthouse can only be viewed from a distance. Lake cruises, which include close-up views of Cleveland’s lighthouses, are offered by the NAUTICA QUEEN (www.nauticaqueen.com) and the GOODTIME III (WWW.GOODTIMEIII.COM).